You are here
Malignant Neoplasm of the Thyroid Gland B043
In this section
Current RMA Instruments
39 of 2014
40 of 2014
Changes from previous Instruments
- ICD-9-CM Code: 193
- ICD-10-AM Code: C73
This SOP covers malignant neoplasms of the follicular cells of the thyroid gland. Medullary carcinoma, arising in the parafollicular cells of the thyroid, is excluded.
Confirming the diagnosis
This diagnosis is based on histopathology of the thyroid gland, from a (fine-needle aspiration) biopsy or surgery.
The relevant medical specialist is a general surgeon or endocrinologist.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma
- Follicular thyroid carcinoma
- Noninvasive follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma (NI-FVPTC)
- Papillary thyroid carcinoma
Conditions excluded from SOP
- Adenoma of thyroid#
- Carcinoid of thyroid#
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the thyroid*
- Medullary carcinoma of the thyroid# – this is a neoplasm arising from the parafollicullar cells (also called C-cells).
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the thyroid*
- Secondary/metastatic cancer involving the thyroid (code to primary cancer site)
- Soft tissue sarcoma of the thyroid*
- Thyroid hyperplasia#
* another SOP applies
# non-SOP condition
The condition usually presents with a thyroid nodule (lump) detected by the patient, by a doctor on clinical examination, or incidentally on imaging performed for another reason.
The only SOP worsening factor is for inability to obtain appropriate clinical management. Appropriate treatment typically comprises surgery, followed by radioiodine therapy (when indicated) and thyroid hormone suppression therapy.