Departmental Instruction

DATE OF ISSUE:  20 June 2005

Requesting psychology records


To advise how to obtain existing psychology records from the Department of Defence.


Psychology records are used in the assessment of psychological conditions for compensation purposes.  These are used in the determination for claims under the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA), the Safety Rehabilitation & Compensation Act 1988 (SRCA) or the Military Rehabilitation Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA).  Some State Offices have requested advice on how to obtain these records from the Department of Defence.

Record types

Psychology records contain “psychology” files only, not “psychiatric” files. Psychiatric files are kept on the member's medical file.

Requesting Information

Psychology records can be requested through the Department of Defence at:

Directorate of Psychology


Department of Defence

Campbell Park Offices

Canberra ACT 2600

When requesting psychology records from the Directorate of Psychology the following information needs to be provided:

  •       Full name;
  •       PMKeys number (service number where a PMKeys number has never been issued);
  •       Date of birth;
  •       Date of enlistment;
  •       Date of discharge (if applicable); and
  •       Service (Army, Navy or Air Force)


If you have any queries regarding the above information please contact Brian Eastman on (02) 6289 6348 or e-mail brian.eastman@dva.gov.au

Carolyn Spiers

Branch Head

Veterans' Compensation Branch

20 June 2005