You are here

2.2.2 Residents who cannot afford to pay

Eligibility for government assistance is established through an income and assets assessment. Aged care facilities receive the maximum government subsidies for residents with low means. People who were provided with permanent residential aged care before 1 July 2014 and pre-20 March 2008 and qualified for government assistance with their accommodation costs are known as supported residents, and concessional or assisted residents respectively.

The Aged Care legislation also contains financial hardship provisions that may be available to a care recipient who is unable to pay either part or all of fees. If DSS grants a hardship determination, a hardship supplement may be paid to the provider and the care recipient fees are reduced.

Aged Care Act 1997 →

The Department of Social Services