You are here
Patellar Tendinopathy N072
Current RMA Instruments
|Reasonable Hypothesis SOP||21 of 2020|
|Balance of Probabilities SOP||22 of 2020|
Changes from previous Instruments
- ICD-9-CM Codes:726.64
- ICD-10-AM Codes: M76.5
This is an inflammatory or degenerative condition affecting the patella tendon, commonly due to overuse of the knee joint. The patella tendon connects the patella (knee cap) to the tibia (below the knee). The SOP now also covers inflammation or degeneration in the distal quadriceps tendon (just above the knee cap).
Confirming the diagnosis
This diagnosis is clinical but is assisted by ultrasound scan or MRI [magnetic resonance imaging] scanning.
The relevant medical specialist is an orthopaedic surgeon.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- Distal quadriceps tendinopathy/tendinitis
- Patella tendinitis
Additional diagnoses that may be covered by SOP (further information required)
Conditions excluded from SOP
- Anterior knee pain (further information required)
- Bipartite patella#
- Chondromalacia patella*
- Dislocation of patella*
- Enthesopathy or tendonitis as part of a systemic inflammatory disease
- Patella fat pad (impingement) syndrome#
- Hoffa’s disease#
- Juvenile osteochondrosis of patella / tibia#
- Osgood-Schlatter’s disease#
- Osteoarthritis of the patella*
- Patella maltracking#
- Patellar bursitis*
- Patellar fracture*
- Patellar tendon or quadriceps tendon strain or rupture* - sprain and strain SOP
- Patellofemoral (pain) syndrome (further information required)
- Sinding-Larsen-Johansson Disease#
* another SOP applies
# non-SOP condition
Clinical onset will usually be based on a self-report of when pain in the tendon, worse with activity, first began.
The condition may slowly resolve with appropriate treatment and avoidance of the triggering activity, but a protracted course with limited or poor response to treatment is common. Exacerbations with activity may occur.