You are here

21.2 Where a Claimant is Required to Access Treatment While Travelling or Living Overseas


A person is entitled to reimbursement for the reasonable cost of treatment undertaken overseas, whether as a resident overseas or as a person travelling overseas, but only for injuries or diseases for which liability has been accepted under SRCA.

Compensation is also limited to the cost of treatment that was reasonable for the person to obtain in the circumstances.  That is, treatment generally limited to what would have been reasonable for a person receiving treatment in Australia.

The cost of treatment can only be reimbursed where the person:

  • informed the Department of their travel prior to travelling or moving overseas; and
  • original invoices and receipts (appropriately translated) are provided as proof of the treatment.

Any enquiries regarding the provision of medical treatment to overseas residents should be emailed to the Director, Rehabilitation, External Liaison & Communication Policy, Rehabilitation and Entitlements Policy Branch.

Where possible, prior to travel being undertaken, a person should be fully briefed by R&C staff regarding the above provisions and client responsibilities.

DVA does not have responsibility for the provision of any private health insurance fees incurred by a person who has a compensable injury and who is travelling or living overseas.

Where a person is required to take out private health cover for the period of time they are travelling or living outside of Australia and they incur a cost for the treatment of their compensable injury, DVA is able to consider:

  • reimbursement of any gap, or reasonable out-of-pocket expenses that the person may have incurred, above what their private health cover will meet;
  • payment of reasonable treatment costs, directly to the service provider; or
  • payment of reasonable treatment costs directly to the service provider, on behalf of the client, if the client can organise the provider to bill them.