You are here
Compensation for Funeral Expenses
Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
Chapter 5 Part 5
Sections 265 to 268
Stated Current Purpose/Intent
Funeral assistance is a one-off payment to assist with the costs of the funeral of an eligible member.
Current Eligibility Criteria
Compensation of up to $11,267.70 is available for the cost of the funeral of a deceased member where:
- liability for the deceased member's death has been accepted under the MRCA;
- the deceased member satisfied the criteria for receiving SRDP during some period of his or her life; or
- the deceased member was entitled to maximum permanent impairment compensation for accepted conditions immediately before his or her death (i.e. assessed at or above 80 points).
- The ADF currently bears the cost of a military funeral of ADF members who die in-service if the family choose to have a military funeral. If the cost is borne by the ADF, no funeral assistance is payable under the MRCA.
- The above rate of payment is applicable as at 1 July 2014 and is indexed annually on 1 July.
Date of Introduction
1 July 2004
The payment is based on the funeral expense compensation available under Defence Determination 2003/21.
The original intention has not changed.
Significant Changes in Criteria or Purpose Since Introduction