You are here

13.3.5 Allowances for Homeless students


13.3.5 Allowances for Homeless students

See paragraph 3.6 of the Instruments

A student may, once they are at least 15 years old and independentbe granted Homeless Student status where the Commission is satisfied that the student is not receiving or likely to receive continuous support either direct or indirect, in cash or in kind, from parents or any other person other than as provided for in this Scheme; and

(a) there is no family home; or

(b) the parents will not allow the student to reside in the family home; or

(c) it would be unreasonable to expect the student to live with the parents because of domestic violence, or comparable circumstances.

The homeless rate of education allowance is intended to be paid to those students who are without a family home or at risk of homelessness due to family and/or other circumstances. Applications for homeless allowance usually involve circumstances of family dysfunction and often students are able to provide supporting documentation from a counsellor, local doctor, other health professional, police report etc.

Generally, a written statement and/or documents providing details of circumstances are required to support the application. A statement from a third party, preferably a counsellor/ doctor/ social worker is also required.

If a student has been granted homeless student status, education allowance is to be paid at the ‘homeless rate’ (i.e: a rate equivalent to the maximum basic rate payable under point 1067G-B3 of the Social Security Act 1991 in respect of a person who is independent).

The Education Schemes Secretary has the delegation to approve or not approve the application based on the information provided. If the Secretary in doubt they should discuss the case with the Education Schemes Policy Officer.

Financial Assistance may be granted to pay for a homeless student to access a private social worker. In such a situation, the social worker will be required to provide a report on the student’s wellbeing.