You are here
In this chapter
To be eligible to receive benefits under VCES or MRCAETS a student must be:
- undertaking an approved course of study within Australia on a full-time basis (or part-time in certain circumstances see paras 2.7.2 and 3.7.1 of the Instruments) (see Course coverage); or
- studying overseas in circumstances considered by the Commission to be exceptional (para 2.6.1 of the Instruments)(see Overseas students); or
- on an approved formal overseas exchange or scholarship to study overseas (with benefits being payable for the duration of the approved period of overseas study) (para 2.6.2 of the Instruments); or
an apprentice or trainee (including a cadet) undertaking an approved Australian Apprenticeship or Traineeship; and
MRCAETS students must not be ordinarily engaged in full-time employment.
- If an eligible student dies the education allowance ceases on notification of the death.
Child/dependent of a veteran studying in Australia on a Student Visa
- There are no specific citizenship or other residency requirements affecting the eligibility of children or dependants of veterans, who do not usually live in Australia.
- Children/dependants of eligible veterans, who come to Australia on a Student Visa, to commence full-time study in an approved course at an approved institution, and who are under the age of 25 when they commence study (and are not in full-time employment – MRCAETS only), are eligible for benefits under either the VCES or MRCAETS.