You are here

13.3.3 Allowances for Secondary students living away from home


13.3.3 Allowances for Secondary students living away from home

See paragraph 3.4 of the instruments

A student is considered to be living away from home if they reside away from their family (or primary) home for educational reasons. Refer to the definition of ‘home’  at part 13.3.2 of this manual. There is no waiting period to be eligible for the living away from home rate.

Living away from home rates of education allowance may be paid in respect of a student undertaking full time secondary education if the Commission is satisfied that additional expenses are incurred as a result of the student living away from home, and:

(a) educational facilities are not readily accessible from the student’s place of residence; or

(b) the student is enrolled in a special course approved for the payment of allowance under the Commonwealth Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme; or

Note: the Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is a non-statutory scheme administered by Centrelink. This Scheme provides financial support for primary or secondary students who cannot go to an appropriate state school because of geographical isolation, disability or special health needs. The scheme also helps families that are isolated from an appropriate state school where the school-aged student is undertaking a tertiary course instead.

(c) the student is physically or intellectually handicapped; or

(d) the student requires specialised remedial tuition; or

(e) the student is a member of an itinerant family; or

(f) the academic needs of that student are not met by local secondary facilities; or

(g) home conditions are detrimental to the student’s educational progress.

Note, if a student is living in a home maintained by a parent or guardian (eg: the parent or guardian’s name is on the lease, a parent resides in the residence part-time), then this would not generally be considered to be living away from home. Therefore, in such a circumstance, when assessing eligibility for the living away from home rate of education allowance it is considered reasonable that the student must provide additional evidence, such as a health professionals supporting report, medical evidence or other independent evidence, to support their claim. The delegate should consult with the Policy team when a situation like this arises, to determine whether the at-home or living away from home rate should apply.


Education allowance payment may be made either in part or in full, and:

(a) may be made to an institution a term in advance; or

(b) may be made to a person either a term in advance or fortnightly, as determined by the Commission.