You are here

2. May 19

Ever since the landing, the two central sections of the Anzac line were deluged with a constant hail of rifle fire. The fire almost ceased on 18 May and the unaccustomed silence aroused suspicions which were soon confirmed by naval aircraft which detected Turkish troops massing for an attack. Four Turkish divisions, with 42 battalions and over 30000 men, attacked the Anzac lines in the early hours of 19 May. The attack, although badly co-ordinated in that it hit different Anzac positions at different times, was exceedingly brave and persistent. Line after line of Turks were cut down and they were only successful in entering the Anzac lines at one corner of Courtney's Post. This section of trench was single-handedly recaptured by Lance Corporal Albert Jacka of the 14th Australian Battalion who bayoneted two Turks and shot another five. Jacka won the first Victoria Cross awarded to an Australian in the 1914-18 War.

The Turkish losses were estimated at 10000 men of whom 3000 were killed. Anzac losses were only 628 hit and included Private John Simpson Kirkpatrick of the 3rd Field Ambulance who was killed by shellfire while evacuating a wounded man on his donkey. Such were the casualties that a short informal truce was held on 20 May to collect the wounded. A formal truce was organised for 24 May and from 7.30 am to 4.30 pm burial parties worked between the lines with each side interring the dead found in its half of no-man's land. The truce was honourably observed although both sides took the opportunity to thoroughly survey the territory held by their opponents.

In June and July, the British and French, despite improved artillery support, had little success in attacks towards Achi Baba. At Anzac Cove, the troops were never away from shellfire and had practically no chance to rest. Some battalions were taken, one at a time, to Imbross Island but only for 3 to 6 days rest. Until late in the campaign no regular canteen and no Red Cross stores reached Anzac Cove. The nights were pestilential with fleas and there was no delousing apparatus for lice. By the end of July, there were 25000 men at Anzac Cove but 200 sick were being evacuated each day.