You are here Share accommodation

Document Share accommodation

The maximum rate of Rent Assistance for single people who share accommodation is two-thirds of the maximum rate for singles living independently. A student is to be assessed as a sharer if:

  • he/she is a single person without dependants, and
  • he/she has the right to use, in common with other people, a major area of the accommodation, and
  • meals are not included in accommodation costs.

A major area of accommodation is defined as: a bathroom, a kitchen or a bedroom. Sharers are subject to a lower maximum rate of Rent Assistance.