You are here
World War 1 - Qualifying and Operational Service
World War 1 veterans who served in the Australian defence forces have qualifying service if they served:
- between 4 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 (both dates included), and
- were engaged in operations against the enemy at a time when they incurred danger from hostile forces of the enemy
It is departmental policy to deem World War 1 vets to have met the criteria to have been engaged in operations against the enemy and incurred danger if they served:
- beyond the coastal waters of Australia, or
- outside the Dominion of enlistment. More ?
A person has operational service if they served:
- on continuous full time service
- as a member of the defence force
- outside Australia during the period 4 August 1914 to 1 September 1921 (both dates included).
The Australian Defence Force includes:
- Australian Army
- Royal Australian Navy (RAN)
- Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)