You are here

Veterans' Evidence of Service

Evidence provided by the claimant

When a claim for service pension or Disability Compensation Payment is made, it is expected that veterans will provide any documentary evidence in their possession to support the claim. These documents include:

  • a discharge certificate,
  • certificate of service, or
  • payslip.     More →
Service documents from the Department of Defence

You can obtain service documents from the Department of Defence. Claimants should not be directed to approach the Department of Defence for information.     

More →


Retrospective allotment - not on service documents

Where a veteran is allotted for duty retrospectively, their allotment status may not appear on their service records.  In these cases, a statement of service should be requested from the Department of Defence.

Documents in lieu of service documents

For veteran's of the Australian Defence Force, a discharge certificate or certificate of service may be used in lieu of service documents if:

  • the certificate is legible,
  • free from alterations or erasures,
  • contains enough information to show the veteran rendered the appropriate service, and
  • the veteran can be identified as the person on the certificate.