You are here
Requirements for Claiming a Funeral Benefit
Claiming an automatic grant of funeral benefit
There is no requirement to lodge a claim for an automatic grant of funeral benefit.
Claiming other funeral benefit
A claim must be lodged for all other funeral benefits.
Time for applying for other funeral benefit
A claim for funeral benefit must be made within 12 months of either:
- the death of the person, or
- in the case of a deceased veteran, one of the following decisions:
- determination that the person's death was war caused,
- grant of or increase in disability pension to Extreme Disablement Adjustment Rate,
- grant of or increase in disability pension to [glossary:Special Rate:Def Special Rate (T&PI)],
- grant of or increase in disability pension to include a Specific Disability Allowance (Items 1-8 only), or
- posthumous approval for treatment in an institution where the veteran passed away.
The Extreme Disablement Adjustment is the equivalent of 150% of the General Rate. It is payable to very severely incapacitated veterans of 65 years & over who do not qualify for the Special or Intermediate Rates.
An allowance paid in respect of an incapacity from a war caused injury or disease resulting in amputation or blindness, as described in the table in subsection 27(1).