The Commonwealth Government regulates and partly funds the provisions of residential care for frail older people who can no longer live independently in their own home.  There are two levels of care, “low level residential care” and “high level residential care”

Before a person can enter a RACF they must be assessed and approved for care by an Aged Care Assessment Team (“ACAT”).  ACATs are generally made up of local doctors, nurses, social workers and the like and they are usually located at hospitals, aged care centres or community centres.  In appropriate circumstances they can see a person in their own home or in hospital in order to make an assessment.