You are here
The commencement day in relation to an income stream is the first day of the period to which the first income stream payment relates. This is usually one instalment period before the date of the first income payment.
The commencement day cannot occur prior to:
- when all of the capital which is to support the income stream is available to the income stream provider;
- the day established as the commencement day in relation to the terms and conditions agreed between the income stream provider and the individual; and
- in circumstances where the individual or their beneficiary becomes entitled to the income stream as per the terms and conditions, the time at which the entitlement to start the income stream arises.
Legislative reference: subsection 5J(1) of the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986.
According to subsection 5J(1) of the VEA, an income stream includes:
- an income stream arising under arrangements that are regulated by the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993; or
- an income stream arising under a public sector scheme (within the meaning of that Act); or
- an income stream arising under a retirement savings account; or
- an income stream provided as life insurance business by a life company registered under section 21 of the Life Insurance Act 1995; or
- an income stream provided by a friendly society (within the meaning of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1996); or
- an income stream designated in writing by the Commission for the purposes of this definition, having regard to the guidelines determined under subsection 5J(1F) of the VEA;
but does not include any of the following:
- available money;
- deposit money;
- a managed investment;
- an investment in a public unit trust;
- an investment in an insurance bond;
- an investment with a friendly society;
- an investment in a superannuation fund;
- an investment in an approved deposit fund;
- an investment in an ATO small superannuation account;
- a listed security;
- a loan that has not been repaid in full;
- an unlisted public security;
- gold, silver or platinum bullion; or
- a payment of compensation in relation to a person's:
- inability to earn, derive or receive income from remunerative work; or
- total and permanent disability or incapacity.
There is currently no content classified with this term.