You are here
9.10.1 Eligibility for the EIS
Clients are eligible for the EIS if they are:
- unable to return to their previous employer;
- able to work within specified return to work medical guidelines; and
- in receipt of incapacity benefits from DVA at the time of their initial employment.
Employers are eligible for the EIS if:
- they have not previously employed the client - previous participation in a work trial with the employer is acceptable;
- they have not previously received an EIS payment for the person;
- they are not an Australian Government, state/territory government entity*;
- their place of employment meets the necessary work health and safety standards;
- they do not unreasonably dismiss other workers to create vacancies for workers available with incentives;
- they can provide ongoing full or part time paid employment or an apprenticeship or traineeship for the worker;
- the role is not a self-employment or a subcontracted position; and
- the employer is not an immediate family member of the veteran – this includes the spouse, partner, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild or sibling of the veteran.
The EIS is only available to employers that are offering employment based in Australia.
*Note: A local government entity can be an eligible EIS employer, provided the employment position is not funded by an Australian state or territory government.