You are here

Table 3 Ongoing Payments


Type of Income

What to Verify

What to request

Who to contact for information


  1. Date of grant.
  2. Amounts.
  3. Dates of increases and reductions.
  4. Any lump sum payments (date and amount).

A written statement or copy of schedule showing the dates and amounts, plus the financial institution account the amount(s) is being paid into (i.e. is this account currently being assessed).

Paying authority (i.e. Commonwealth, State or Local Superannuation Boards).

Income Stream Schedule Form D0563 should be used to request information from income stream providers under the authority of section 128 VEA.


  1. Date paid.
  2. Gross weekly amount paid.
  3. Dates and amounts of any variations to compensation rate.
  4. Does Part IIIC apply for Compensation Affected Pension?
  5. Does any offsetting apply if DCP paid under Part II or Part IV for same condition?

A copy of decision or settlement agreement by Compensation Court, and any Short Minutes of Order.

A written statement detailing date of grant, whether a lump sum paid, dates and amounts of any variations to amount, and whether any dependant's allowance paid as part of sum.

Terms of settlement to identify components for economic and non-economic loss.

Details of the financial institution account amount(s) paid into (i.e. is this account currently being assessed).

Pensioner may be able to provide all letters received from paying authority. If not, contact paying authority direct.

Bank records may also show dates and amounts received, however, these are likely to be the net rather than gross amounts.

Documentation must be obtained regarding compensation from pensioner's solicitor or Compensation Court.

As a last resort a financial year amount may be gained from the tax returns, so contact the accountant or the ATO.

Overseas Pensions

(refer to notes below)

  1. Type of pension.
  2. Paying authority.
  3. Date the client was advised of grant, and date when the first payment is to be received, and gross amount of pension.
  4. Date the client commences receiving the overseas pension.
  5. Dates and amounts of any variations to the rate.

A full statement regarding the information in What to Verify box.

Conversion to Australian dollars is not required, however fortnightly amounts to 3 decimal places should be recorded into PIPS. Care should be taken when converting non-Euros to Euros.

Contact the pensioner(s) first and ask for the original letters and translations.

Contact the paying authority if information insufficient on pensioner's advice letters.

Tasmanian State Office may be able to help with the addresses of some paying authorities, as will embassies and consuls.

Ask the pensioner to complete an authority to release information statement, and to advise the full name and address of the paying authority.

A pensioner may complete Form D2717 which provides consent to the release of information from the Department of Social Security in the UK relating to a pensioner's British Pension.

For other pensions refer to notes below.

Notes on table 3

When gathering information for an assessment on an overseas pension be aware that:

  • British Social Security Pension is not indexed while pensioner is residing in Australia, New Zealand, Canada or South Africa.
  • British pensions appear in the Foreign Super drop-box in PIPS in the following order:
  • British Official Public Services/Forces
  • British Other Income
  • British Social Security Pension.
  • When requesting information on overseas pensions, an authority from the pensioner to release the information is usually required. This authority should include both the veteran's and partner's agreement to seek the information from the overseas authority, and for the overseas authority to release the information to DVA.

For example:

"I authorise the Department of Veterans' Affairs to obtain from ...(insert name of overseas authority)... any information that is required to process my Service Pension application.  I also authorise...(insert name of overseas authority) release this information to the Department of Veterans' Affairs".

  • Check to see whether the payment from overseas is exempt under the VEA or not. For instance the 'State Assistance Scheme for the 1940-1945 Victims of Persecution' (WUV) may be considered income for DVA purposes, depending on which type of restitution payment is received. Benefits that fall into the category of reimbursement of medical expenses etc, or special allowances related to medical services, will have that benefit exempt as income. Ex-service members are entitled to this exemption under the VEA. The Commission has determined that benefits of this type paid to civilians are also exempt income. Income substitution payments are regarded as income for ex-service members and civilians alike.
  • If a pensioner has received compensation or insurance in any form, the reason for the payment should be established. For example, if it was paid to cover the damage to the principal home's building, loss of plant, equipment or personal effects then it is not assessable under the income test, and is considered a disregarded asset for 12 months from the date the payment was received. In other instances, the payment may be treated as ordinary income for service pension purposes, such as for the loss of income or earning capacity.