You are here
The key eligibility criteria and supports available under the Defence, Veterans’ and Families’ Acute Support Package (the Package) are prescribed in:
- Chapter 5A, Part 1 of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA)
- Part IIIA of the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA)
- Part VIC of the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA)
Legislative instruments made under each Act contain additional eligibility criteria, specify financial and time limits for a family accessing support under these arrangements, and detail the types and limits of support:
- Veterans’ Entitlements (Defence, Veterans’ and Families’ Acute Support Package) Instrument 2022
- Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) (Defence, Veterans’ and Families’ Acute Support Package) Instrument 2022
- Military Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence, Veterans’ and Families’ Acute Support Package) Instrument 2022
The purpose of the Package is to assist working age veteran families to adjust to new and challenging life circumstances, and to improve their wellbeing and functioning over the longer-term.
A delegate of the Commission will determine a person’s eligibility for the Package as set out in each Act – the MRCA, DRCA and VEA – and each relevant legislative instrument. The decision will be documented and reasons will be provided to the applicant where they are deemed not eligible. There is no requirement for an application or claim form to be completed by the individual, but recipients may be asked to confirm any information they provide to DVA – for example, through discussions with a Case Manager – to assist DVA in assessing their circumstances and determining eligibility.