8.3.2 What types of service are there? | Military Compensation SRCA Manuals and Resources Library, Liability Handbook, Ch 8 Coverage Of The Legislation, 8.3 Coverage by Type of Service

You are here

8.3.2 What types of service are there?


In contrast to the SRCA, the VEA distinguishes between several types of military employment.

  • Peacetime service: This is simply a shorthand description of normal service in the ADF, i.e. other than any period of declared operational, peacekeeping or hazardous service
  • Hazardous service (non-warlike service): This involves activities exposing individuals to a greater than normal degree of hazard, and may include mine clearance, weapons destruction, assisted evacuations, military assistance to the civil power etc. 'Hazardous service' only applies to a period or activity when that has been formally declared by the Minister.
  • Peacekeeping service (non-warlike service): This is service outside of Australia as a member of the Australian contingent in a Peacekeeping Force, and once again requires a formal declaration by the Minister.
  • Operational service (warlike service): This is service overseas by a member of the ADF in a time of war, or during war-like operations within a defined operational area. Delegates requiring a more detailed exposition should refer to VEA Ss6A-6F. Note that the Minister must issue a formal Declaration to establish that a particular ADF activity or employment within a particular zone etc. constitutes Operational Service post WW2.