You are here
23.1.4 During the visit
- Have a badge (showing both your given and surname) visible at all times.
- Clarify the purpose of your visit.
- As much as possible, stay in the room where the interview is taking place.
- Respect the claimant's cultural heritage (if that is a consideration).
- Reassure the claimant that any information provided will be treated confidentially and will not be disclosed to other persons or agencies other than for lawful purposes.
- If the claimant appears not to understand the matters raised during a visit, he/she should be encouraged to seek assistance from an ex-service organisation representative. (Note: The comments regarding legal representation which are mentioned in Section 23.1.1 are equally relevant here.)
- Summarise any information which may have been obtained from the claimant during a visit and ensure that the claimant agrees with your understanding of that information, and if appropriate, advise the claimant regarding any other options (e.g. benefits under the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986, benefits from Centrelink etc.) which may be available to the claimant in his/her circumstances. It would be helpful to be able to provide the claimant with contact details of any other such agencies that may be able to assist the claimant.