You are here
Eligible widow/widower or former partner of a qualifying sugarcane farmer
- the person was, but no longer is (whether because of death or any other reason), the partner of another person, and
- on the day on which the person ceased to be the partner of the other person, the other person was a qualifying sugarcane farmer, and
- after ceasing to be the partner of the other person, the person has not again become a member of a couple, and
A person is considered to be a qualifying sugarcane farmer if they have:
- held an eligible interest in the farm for a continuous period of 15 years and the farm has for the last two years and since 29 April 2004 been a sugarcane farm, or
- acquired an eligible interest in the sugarcane farm before 29 April 2004 and had an active involvement in the farm or the farming industry in Australia for any period or periods totalling at least 20 years.
During either period the person or their partner must have derived asignificant part of their income and contributed a significant part of their labour to the development of a sugarcane farm for at least the last two years.
Refer to subsections 5PAA(3) and 5PAA(4) for the full definition.
A person's 'partner' is someone who is a member of a couple with that person.
- legally married to another person and is not living separately and apart from the other person on a permanent basis; or
- living in a prescribed registered relationship with the other person (whether of the same sex or a different sex) and is not living separately and apart from that other person on a permanent basis; or
- all of the following conditions are met:
- living with another person, whether of the same sex or a different sex;
- not legally married to that person;
- in a de facto relationship with that person; and
- not in a prohibited relationship
The term “partnered” is also commonly used.
A sugarcane farmer holds an eligible interest in a sugarcane farm if they:
- have a legal estate or interest in the sugarcane farm, or
- have a transferable legal right or a transferable licence to occupy the farm for a particular purpose of the sugarcane farm enterprise, or
- have an equitable estate or interest in a farm, as mortgagor of the legal estate or interest in the farm; or
- are a shareholder in a private company that owns or holds a pastoral lease over the farm land.
Refer to subsection 5PAA(5) for the full definition.
There is currently no content classified with this term.