You are here

3.4 Allowances for Secondary students living away from home (see 3.4 of the Instruments)

Living away from home rates of education allowance may be paid in respect of a student undertaking full time secondary education if the Commission is satisfied that additional expenses are incurred as a result of the student living away from home, and:

(a)educational facilities are not readily accessible from the student's place of residence; or

(b)the student is enrolled in a special course approved for the payment of allowance under the Commonwealth Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme; or

Note: the Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is a non-statutory scheme administered by Centrelink.  This Scheme provides financial support for primary or secondary students who cannot go to an appropriate state school because of geographical isolation, disability or special health needs.  The scheme also helps families that are isolated from an appropriate state school where the school-aged student is undertaking a tertiary course instead.

(c)the student is physically or intellectually handicapped; or

(d)the student requires specialised remedial tuition; or

(e)the student is a member of an itinerant family; or

(f)the academic needs of that student are not met by local secondary facilities; or

(g)home conditions are detrimental to the student's educational progress.

Payment of education allowance for secondary students living away from home shall be made to:

(a) the person who is entitled to be paid family tax benefit under A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999; or

(b)to the institution or person, if any, providing board to the student; or

(c)if the payment methods in paragraphs (a) and (b) are inappropriate or non-existent – a person approved by the Commission to receive the payment on behalf of the student.

This payment may be made either in part or in full, and:

(a)may be made to an institution a term in advance; or

(b)may be made to a person either a term in advance or fortnightly, as determined by the Commission.

A person in receipt of education allowance under sub-paragraph 3.4.2(a) may direct payment of the allowance to the student or to a parent, guardian or trustee of the student.

If only part of the payment is made to the institution or person providing board, the other part shall be paid to the person described at sub-paragraph 3.4.2(a) or, if relevant, to the person to whom they have directed payment.  If there is no person for the purposes of subparagraph 3.4.2(a), the part-payment shall be paid to a person approved by the Commission to receive the payment on the student's behalf.