You are here
Application for Pension Loans Scheme
Applicants for Pension Loans Scheme
Applicants usually fall into four groups:
- current part-rate pensioners,
- current maximum rate pensioners,
- persons whose pension claim was previously rejected under the income and assets tests, or
- persons who have lodged a pension loans scheme claim on the assumption that they would not be eligible for a pension.
If a person has not previously applied for a service pension or partner income support supplement, basic eligibility for such pension must be established for the person to participate in the scheme. There is no legal requirement for income and asser details to be collected for those non-pensioners who would not meet the means tests.More ?
Participation in the scheme - current pensioners
Pensioners receiving a pension can use the scheme to top-up their pension payments to:
- 150% of the maximum rate they would be entitled to if the income/assets test were not applied (less any remote area allowance), or
- any lesser rate they nominate. More ?
Participation in the scheme – non pensioners
Persons who do not receive pension due to the combined income/assets test, can use the scheme in a similar manner to obtain a substitute for pension payments.More ?
Pension Loans Scheme application form
The Pension Loans Application form gives DVA the authority to collect information to establish whether or not a person meets the eligibility criteria for pension loans scheme. The application form is a contract between DVA and the applicant and states:
- any property nominated for exclusion from the calculation of the amount of loan available,
- the interest rate that is to be charged on the loan, More ?
- any nominated to be excluded from the value of secured assets available for calculation of the maximum loan amount,
- the charge against any of the person's property used as security for the loan,
- More ?
- insurance details,
- confirmation they are no subject to any bankruptcy or personal insolvency agreements, and
- the rate of loan paid each fortnight.
Completing the Pensions Loan Scheme application form
A person who wants to apply for the pension loans scheme must complete the Pension Loans Application form. The applicant must sign the application form in order to agree to the terms of the loan. If only one member of a couple applies for a loan, both members must sign the application form even though only one member of the couple may be accessing the scheme. The contract is binding on both members of a couple.
Pension Loans Scheme interviews
An interview is to be conducted in all cases to:
- ensure that the applicant is fully aware of all the terms and conditions associated with the pension loans scheme payments and the debt,
- negotiate any problems, and
- obtain the signed agreement of the applicant to the terms of the loan on both the application form and on any interview notes which record the explanation of the loan conditions to the person/s.
Eligibility for service pension and income support supplement
Application of interest to a pension loan
A service pension is an income support payment broadly equivalent to the social security age and disability support pensions. It may be paid once a veteran or partner has reached the nominated age or is incapacitated for work.
A person's 'partner' is someone who is a member of a couple with that person.
ISS is an income support payment that may be paid to eligible war widows and widowers under the VEA and persons receiving wholly dependent partners' compensation under the MRCA, and who satisfy the means tests. It is an indexed rate, increased twice-yearly in March and September in line with changes to the cost of living and/or average wages. Income Support Supplement (ISS) legislation commenced on 20 March 1995. It is a payment created to replace the ceiling rate income support age, carer, wife and disability support pensions, paid to war widows/widowers by Centrelink.
The Department of Veterans' Affairs.