You are here
3.3.1 Overview of Service Pension and Income Support Supplement Payability
Payability is distinct from eligibility
- the pension has not commenced to be payable,
- a proper claim has not been lodged,
- the person is in gaol,
- the person is receiving another pension,
- the rate of pension is nil,
- the pension is cancelled or suspended, or
- the person has not provided their or their partner's tax file number. This does not apply where an exemption applies or the requirement to provide the tax file number is waived by the Secretary.
In the case of service pension, the pension is not payable if the rate of pension would be nil.
Although a war widow/widower may be eligible for a partner service pension, that pension is not payable. Income support supplement may, however, be payable.More ?
Compensation affected pension payability
Although a person may be eligible for a compensation affected pension, that pension may not be payable to them because:
- the person or their partner is entitled to compensation but does not take reasonable action to claim or obtain the compensation, or
- the person receives compensation in the form of a lump sum. More ?
ISS is an income support payment that may be paid to eligible war widows and widowers under the VEA and persons receiving wholly dependent partners' compensation under the MRCA, and who satisfy the means tests. It is an indexed rate, increased twice-yearly in March and September in line with changes to the cost of living and/or average wages. Income Support Supplement (ISS) legislation commenced on 20 March 1995. It is a payment created to replace the ceiling rate income support age, carer, wife and disability support pensions, paid to war widows/widowers by Centrelink.
A service pension is an income support payment broadly equivalent to the social security age and disability support pensions. It may be paid once a veteran or partner has reached the nominated age or is incapacitated for work.
According to subsection 5NB(1) of the VEA a compensation affected pension means:
- an invalidity service pension payable to a person who has not reached pension age; or
- a partner service pension payable to a person who has not reached pension age; or
- an income support supplement payable to a person who has not reached qualifying age.