You are here Overseas study

Document Overseas study

Allowances are currently provided at the living at home rate and may be paid for a period of up to 12 months to a student who has been awarded a place within a formal overseas exchange scheme or who has received a scholarship to study overseas.

Double orphans may continue to receive the double orphan rate of allowance. A student’s entitlement to receive rent assistance while residing outside Australia may be affected (see 5.5 of the Instruments).

Note that the student must still satisfy all other eligibility criteria during the 12 month period e.g. must still be undertaking full-time education (which includes apprentices and trainees),and in the case of MRCAETS, must not be engaged in full-time work. This provision is intended to cover those in formal exchange and scholarship programs.

All applications from students studying overseas will go to the Education Schemes Secretary for overseas students. Applications involving the ‘exceptional circumstances’ provision (2.6.1) of the instrument for overseas study require approval by the Education Schemes Coordinator. If the application requires policy input, the Secretary and Education Schemes Coordinator will discuss with the Education Schemes Policy Officer.