You are here
Veterans' Evidence of Service
When a claim for service pension or disability pension is made, it is expected that veterans will provide any documentary evidence in their possession to support the claim. These documents include:
- a discharge certificate,
- certificate of service, or
- paybook. More ?
You can obtain service documents from the Department of Defence. Claimants should not be directed to approach the Department of Defence for information.More ?
Where a veteran is allotted for duty retrospectively, their allotment status may not appear on their service records. In these cases, a statement of service should be requested from the Department of Defence.
Documents in lieu of service documents
For veteran's of the Australian Defence Force, a discharge certificate of certificate of service may be used in lieu of service documents if:
- the certificate is legible,
- free from alterations or erasures,
- contains enough information to show the veteran rendered the appropriate service, and
- the veteran can be identified as the person on the certificate.