You are here

Commonwealth and Allied Veterans' Evidence of Service


Some cases involving Commonwealth and allied ex-service personnel may be more difficult to determine than Australian personnel depending upon the available evidence. It is important that original documents are seen.  Certified translations are required.     

Commonwealth Veterans

Commonwealth veterans may hold similar records to a veterans of the Australian Defence Force, that is:

  • a discharge certificate,
  • certificate of service, or
  • paybook.
Allied Veterans

An allied veteran may provide evidence of service in the form of:

  • discharge certificates
  • paybooks
  • campaign medals and certificate or citation of campaign awards
  • citations

In the absence of service documents a Statutory Declaration should be requested.