You are here
Malignant Neoplasm of the Thyroid Gland B043
In this section
Current RMA Instruments:
|Reasonable Hypothesis SOP||39 of 2014|
|Balance of Probabilities SOP||40 of 2014|
Changes from Previous Instruments:
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 193
- ICD-10-AM Codes: C73
This SOP covers malignant neoplasms of the follicular cells of the thyroid gland, but not medullary carcinoma, arising in the parafollicular cells (c cells) of the thyroid.
Is specific diagnostic evidence required to apply the SOP? – No.
This diagnosis is based on histopathology of the thyroid gland. The relevant medical specialist is an oncologist or endocrinologist.
Are there sub-factors that require specific information? – No.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- Papillary thyroid carcinoma
- Follicular thyroid carcinoma
- Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma
Conditions excluded from SOP
- Adenoma of thyroid, ICD code 226
- Carcinoid of thyroid
Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the thyroid, ICD code 201.9
- Medullary carcinoma of the thyroid – this is the neoplasm arising from the parafollicullar cells (also called C-cells). Also known as Medullary thyroid carcinoma
non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the thyroid, ICD code 202.8
- Secondary/metastatic cancer involving the thyroid (code to primary cancer site)
soft tissue sarcoma of the thyroid, ICD code 171.8
- Thyroid hyperplasia
If, after applying the above information, you are unable to confirm the diagnosis, you should then seek medical officer advice about further investigation.