You are here
Fracture - Osteoporosis Factor
To meet the RMA definition there must be either:
- bone densitometry results of a T score of -2.5 or lower (i.e. -2.6, -3.5), or
- a fracture associated with radiological evidence of reduced bone density in the region of the fracture.
No specific Z score result is required.
If neither an osteoporotic fracture nor bone densitometry meeting the requirements of the SoP definition is present, the diagnosis can not be applied and bone density is then within the normal range.
Signs and symptoms
- Osteoporosis may remain asymptomatic until more fractures appear. Chronic pain may be present due to abnormal stress on the muscles and ligaments of the spine in particular.
- Crush or compression fractures of the vertebrae are characteristically associated with minimal or no trauma and usually occur in weight bearing vertebrae [T-8 and below]. The resulting pain is acute, usually does not radiate, is aggravated by weight bearing, may be associated with local tenderness, and generally subsides in a few days or weeks.
- The hips and wrists are other common sites for osteoporotic fractures.
Last reviewed for CCPS 24 May 2007.
Preliminary questions 
5702 there is some evidence that osteoporosis may be a factor in the development of the condition under consideration.
5716 the veteran has had osteoporosis at some time.
30221 the osteoporosis involved side and site of the body.
5712 the veteran had osteoporosis involving side and site of the body at the time of the clinical onset of the condition under consideration.
5706 the veteran has established the causal connection between the osteoporosis and VEA service for the clinical onset of the fracture.
5708 the veteran has established the causal connection between the osteoporosis and operational service for the clinical onset of the fracture.
5709 the veteran has established the causal connection between the osteoporosis and eligible service for the clinical onset of the fracture.
Clinical onset and operational service 
5713 the osteoporosis is causally related to operational service.
Clinical onset and eligible service 
5714 the osteoporosis is causally related to eligible service.