You are here
Soft Tissue Sarcoma B009
In this section
Current RMA Instruments:
|Reasonable Hypothesis SOP||5 of 2015|
|Balance of Probabilities SOP||6 of 2015|
Changes from Previous Instruments:
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 155.01, 155.02, 158.0, 160.0, 161.3, 171, 171.0, 171.2, 171.3, 171.4, 171.5, 171.6, 171.7, 171.8, 171.9
- ICD-10-AM Codes: C22.3, C22.4, C30.0, C32.3, C47, C48, C49
This is a primary malignant neoplasm affecting the connective tissue (muscle, tendon, ligaments, dermis, and cartilage) of the body not being part of the skeleton structure. This is a malignancy of the flesh (Greek – Sark) rather than of the lining or epithelium which is a carcinoma and the sarcoma is less common that the carcinoma.
Is specific diagnostic evidence required to apply the SOP? – Yes.
This diagnosis is based on histopathology of a biopsy or excised lesion.
Are there sub-factors that require specific diagnostic information? – Yes.
For a number of factors the primary site and / or histological type of sarcoma needs to be known.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- atypical fibroxanthoma
- chondrosarcoma of non-skeletal cartilage (nose, ear etc)
- malignant fibrous histiocytoma
- malignant mixed mullerian tumours
- malignant nerve sheath tumour
- malignant schwannoma
- mullerian adenosarcoma
- synovial sarcoma
Conditions not covered by SOP
- chondrosarcoma - skeletal, ICD 9 code 170.9
- Ewing sarcoma, ICD 9 code 170.9
- Kaposi’s sarcoma, ICD 9 code 176.9
- lymphosarcoma, ICD 9 code 200.1
- mesothelioma, ICD 9 code 158.8, 158.9, 163 or 164.1
- osteosarcoma, ICD 9 code 170.9
- reticulosarcoma, ICD 9 code 200.0
- Benign neoplasms – meningioma, neuroma
- Haemopoetic neoplasia – leukaemia
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Malignant neoplasm of articular cartilage
- Malignant neoplasm of bone
- Malignant neoplasm of brain or cerebral meninges
- Malignant neoplasm of larynx
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
If, after applying the above information, you are unable to confirm the diagnosis, you should then seek medical officer advice about further investigation.