You are here
Renal Artery Atherosclerotic Disease G014
In this section
Current RMA Instruments:
|Reasonable Hypothesis SOP||102 of 2011|
|Balance of Probabilities SOP||103 of 2011|
Changes from Previous Instruments:
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 440.1
- ICD-10-AM Codes: I70.1
Is specific diagnostic evidence required to apply the SOP? – Yes.
This SOP applies only if there is both (i) atherosclerotic occlusion of a renal artery and (ii) clinical manifestations, in the form of hypertension (moderate to severe or poorly controlled), persistent renal impairment, acute pulmonary oedema, chronic heart failure, or where treatment occurs.
Are there sub-factors that require specific information? – No.
Related conditions that may be covered by SOP (further information required)
- Renal artery stenosis (where due to atherosclerotic and meets the RMA definition)
Conditions not covered by SOP
- Atherosclerosis of the renal arteries which does not meet the RMA definition of this disease, see above.
- Renal artery stenosis due to fibromuscular dysplasia, ICD codes 447.3 and 447.8
If, after applying the above information, you are unable to confirm the diagnosis, you should then:
- seek medical officer advice about further investigation, or;
- generate a diagnostic report, or;
- re-encode the condition, if appropriate.
The following investigations may be useful in establishing the diagnosis.
- Magnetic resonance angiography
- Renal arteriogram