You are here
Current RMA Instruments
47 of 2013
48 of 2013
Changes from previous Instruments
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 523.4
- ICD-10-AM Codes: K05.3
Periodontitis is inflammation of the periodontium which is the ligament which attaches the teeth to the bony sockets. The periodontium is normally covered by the overlying gingiva (gums). Periodontitis can lead to the loosening and then the loss of teeth.
Confirming the diagnosis
Diagnosis requires an opinion from a dentist/periodontist or copies of the contemporary dental records.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- Aggressive periodontitis
- Chronic periodontitis
- Necrotising ulcerative periodontitis
Conditions excluded from SOP
- Acute apical periodonitis (of pulp origin)* - Dental pulp and apical disease SOP
- Acute pericoronitis#
- Chronic apical periodontitis* - Dental pulp and apical disease SOP
- Chronic pericoronitis#
- Gingivitis (acute or chronic)*
- Maxillary and mandibular ostenecrosis#
- Necrotising gingivitis confined to the gums* - gingivitis SOP
- Periodontal abscess*
* another SOP applies
# non-SOP condition
Time of clinical onset should be based on advice from the treating dentist/periodontist.
The presence of clinical worsening beyond the normal course of the disease should be determined based on advice from a dentist/periodontist.