You are here
Panic Disorder E013
In this section
Current RMA Instruments
|Consolidated RH SOP||68 of 2009 as amended by 101 of 2016|
|Consolidated BoP SOP||69 of 2009 as amended by 102 of 2016|
Changes from previous instruments
- ICD-9-CM Codes:300.01, 300.21
- ICD-10-AM Codes: F40.01, F41.0
This SOP coveres recurrent unexpected panic atacks (an abrupt surge of intense fear or discomfort). Panic attacks with a cue or trigger are not covered by this SOP or this disorder.
Confirming the diagnosis
A report from a specialist psychiatrist that conforms with the Repatriation Commission Guidelines for Psychiatric Compensation Claims is required for diagnosis.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP:
Conditions not covered by SOP:
- Panic attack - not a mental disorder by itself.
- Panic attacks due to medication/substance use* - Anxiety disorder SOP
- Panic attacks due to another medical condition* - Anxiety disorder SOP
- Panic attacks occurring in the context of other mental disorders* (e.g. PTSD, depression, substance use disorder) - part of that disorder
* Another SOP applies
# non-SOP condition
Recurrent, unexpected panic attacks, meeting the diagnostic criteria are required to confirm the diagnosis. Once the diagnosis has been confirmed, clinical onset can be backdated to the first such episode. However, an isolated panic attack or a panic attack with a trigger (including due to a susbtance or another medical condition) will not signify the clinical onset of panic disorder.