You are here
Heel Bursitis N044
Current RMA Instruments:
|Reasonable Hypothesis SOP||77 of 2010|
|Balance of Probabilities SOP||78 of 2010|
Changes from Previous Instruments:
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 726.79
- ICD-10-AM Codes: M76.7
This SOP covers inflammation of the superficial bursa, just under the skin, at the back of the heel.
Is specific evidence required to apply the SOP – No
Are there sub-factors that require specific information? – No
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- Posterior adventitial heel bursitis
- Haglund’s disease
- Superficial retrocalcaneal bursitis
Conditions not covered by SOP
- Achilles peritendonitis, ICD-9-CM code 726.71
- Deep retrocalcaneal bursitis, ICD-9-CM code 726.71
- Plantar calcaneal bursitis, ICD-9-CM code 726.79
If, after applying the above information, you are unable to confirm the diagnosis, you should then:
- seek medical officer advice about further investigation, or;
- generate a diagnostic report, or;
- re-encode the condition, if appropriate.
The following investigations may be useful in establishing the diagnosis.
- Treating practitioner’s report
- Report from orthopaedic surgeon
There is another bursa, deep to the Achilles tendon, absorbing friction between the tendon and the calcaneal bone. Bursitis at that site is covered by a separate SOP, Achilles tendinopathy and bursitis (Nos. 37 & 38 of ‘07).