You are here
Coeliac Disease J019
In this section
Current RMA Instruments:
|Reasonable Hypothesis SOP||1 of 2011|
|Balance of Probabilities SOP||2 of 2011|
Changes from Previous Instruments:
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 579.0
- ICD-10-AM Codes: K90.0
Coeliac disease is a disease of the small bowel, in which sensitivity to dietary gluten leads to malabsorption, diarrhoea and other gastrointestinal and systemic symptoms.
Is specific diagnostic evidence required to apply the SOP? – Yes.
Small bowel histology (from endoscopic biopsy) is required for diagnosis.
Are there sub-factors that require specific information? – No.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- Coeliac crisis
- Gluten sensitive enteropathy
- Nontropical sprue
Conditions not covered by SOP
- Tropical sprue, ICD-9 code 579.1
If, after applying the above information, you are unable to confirm the diagnosis, you should then:
- seek medical officer advice about further investigation, or;
- generate a diagnostic report, or;
- re-encode the condition, if appropriate.
The following investigations may be useful in establishing the diagnosis.
- Report from gastroenterologist
- Report of small bowel biopsy