You are here
Acute Pancreatitis J013
In this section
Current RMA Instruments:
|Reasonable Hypothesis SOP||85 of 2011|
|Balance of Probabilities SOP||86 of 2011|
Changes from Previous Instruments:
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 577.0, 577.2
- ICD-10-AM Codes: K85
This SOP covers (i) single episodes of acute pancreatitis and (ii) recurrent episodes of acute pancreatitis, provided there is no underlying chronic pancreatic disease. Acute on chronic pancreatitis is covered by the chronic pancreatitis SOP.
Is specific diagnostic evidence required to apply the SOP? – No.
Are there sub-factors that require specific information? – No.
Additional diagnoses covered by SOP
- Pancreatic cyst
- Pancreatic psuedocyst
- Recurrent acute pancreatitis
Conditions not covered by SOP
- Chronic pancreatitis, ICD code 577.1
- Acute on chronic pancreatitis, ICD code 577.1
If, after applying the above information, you are unable to confirm the diagnosis, you should then:
- seek medical officer advice about further investigation, or;
- generate a diagnostic report, or;
- re-encode the condition, if appropriate.
The following investigations may be useful in establishing the diagnosis.
- Serum amylase level during attack
- Report from a physician or gastroenterologist