You are here
Acute Myeloid Leukaemia B003
In this section
Current RMA Instruments:
|Consolidated RH SOP||71 of 2015 as amended by 33 of 2016|
|Consolidated BOP SOP||72 of 2015 as amended by 34 of 2016|
Changes from previous Instruments:
- ICD-9-CM Codes: 205.0,205.30,205.31,206.0,206.01,207.0,207.1,207.2,207.21,208.0,208.01
- ICD-10-AM Codes: C92.00-01, C92.30-31, C93.00-01, C94.00-01, C94.20-21, C95.00-01
Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow, in which abnormal, immature white blood cells proliferate. This leads to a decrease in normal red and white blood cells and platelets.
Confirming the diagnosis:
Definitive diagnosis requires bone marrow biopsy.
The relevant medical specialist is haematologist or a haematologist oncologist.
Additional diagnoses covered by these SOPs
- acute basophilic leukaemia
- acute erythroid leukaemia
- acute granulocytic leukaemia
- acute megakaryoblastic leukaemia
- acute monocytic leukaemia
- acute myeloblastic leukaemia
- acute myelocytic leukaemia
- acute myelogenous leukaemia
- acute myelomonocytic leukaemia
- acute myelosclerotic leukaemia
- acute panmyelosis with myelofibrosis
- acute promyelocytic leukaemia
- myeloid sarcoma
Conditions not covered by these SOPs
- acute lymphoblastic leukaemia*
- chronic lymphocytic leukaemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma*
- chronic myeloid leukaemia*
- soft tissue sarcoma*
* another SOP applies - the SOP has the same name unless otherwise specified
# non-SOP condition
Clinical onset will most likely be at the time of diagnosis. Early symtpoms are generally vague and non-specific. A slight back-dating of onset may be possible if symptoms of anaemia or of easy bruising/bleeding were present.
AML is a rapidly progressing disease and is typically fatal within weeks or months if left untreated. The only SOP worsening factor is for inability to obtain appropriate clincial management. Treatment may be curative (particularly in younger subjects) and will generally prolong survival. Any delay in treatment is likely to be detrimental.
Comments on SOP factors
Undergoing treatment with radioactive iodine or phosphorus does not include diagnostic procedures where these agents as used as tracers.